Position: Operations Manager
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Position type: full-time, non-exempt, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: $50,000 – $65,000
Benefits: 23 days paid time off, 11 paid holidays, flexible, family-friendly schedule, medical (zero-deductible HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance, with RVC covering over 90% of the costs of the insurance package
Start date: March 2020
RVC strengthens the power of communities of color in order to create a more equitable society through capacity-building, leadership development, and operations support. We accomplish this through our core programs and services as well as through leading partnerships with community members and organizations of color. These members and organizations provide support services tailored to the strengths and needs of the communities they serve. For this reason, people of color are encouraged to apply to our job postings.
Summary of position
Do you love creating systems and processes that increase efficiency? Are you amazingly talented at keeping track of all kinds of tiny details? Do you want to be challenged all the time at work, pushed to the limit, learn a ton of stuff, be on the cutting edge of equity and community engagement work, have a lot of fun, be frustrated on occasion and inspired frequently, and make a significant impact? RVC is looking for an Operations Manager who wants an opportunity to learn and develop within an organization that is growing rapidly. The Operations Manager will play a vital role on the team, managing human resources, insurance, and other aspects of RVC’s internal operations. RVC intends to invest deeply in the professional development of this position so that they can grow and develop as the organization grows, gaining increasing levels of responsibility and opportunity over time.
Human Resources Lead (40%)
- Manage human resources for RVC, improving HR policies and processes to better support staff and align with RVC values
- Act as point person for questions, concerning, and training regarding HR across the organization
- Manage payroll and benefits, by keeping online platforms updated, ensuring payroll is run effectively, coordinating with benefits broker, and administering benefits
- Facilitate and improve new staff onboarding processes, ensuring that staff joining the organization have a positive and informative learning process
- Engage in recruiting activities for employee searches, developing deep community networks to proactively reach out to strong candidates and researching methods to reach diverse candidates
Insurance and Risk Management Lead (20%)
- Research insurance and risk management best practices in order to ensure that RVC and its Operations Support partner organizations are maintaining effective risk management practices
- Act as point person with insurance providers, ensuring that all necessary insurance information is collected and updated regularly
- Ensure that insurance policies and risk management practices are being properly followed across RVC and its Operations Support partner organizations
- Handle day-to-day insurance needs and requests, such as processing certificate requests from contracting partners
- Ensure that all licensing and legal paperwork with local and national government agencies is properly filed and updated annually
Office Operations Support (30%)
- Ensure external communications to RVC are quickly and smoothly routed to the right point person, by monitoring the general RVC email inbox and phone line, and forwarding messages to the correct recipient
- Support office morale activities, including planning events and buying gifts
- Lead I.T. management for the office by coordinating with external I.T. consultant and handling day-to-day I.T. support needs
- Managing online platforms such as Calendly and LastPass for office-wide use
- Support strong financial management across the organization
General Operations (10%)
- Ensure that RVC’s human resource, finance, and legal systems are efficient and user-friendly, strategically assessing them regularly and making improvements
- Take the lead on special projects to research and improve various aspects of RVC operations
- Collaborate with staff in making key strategic decisions affecting RVC’s future
- Engage in deep professional development
- Participate in staff meetings, attend community events, and otherwise contribute to strengthening the deep roots within our community, both internally and externally
What we’re looking for:
- Experience with communities of color and grassroots organizations
- Passion for working in the nonprofit sector
- Interest in long-term career path in nonprofit human resources
- Experience managing operations
- Talent for creating and managing systems
- An eye for creating efficiencies and keeping track of details
- Ability to develop trusting relationships with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds
- Comfort with computers and a variety of online platforms
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Love of continuous learning
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to work some evenings and weekends
- Commitment to our mission and our values of Equity, Integrity, Community, Action, and Transformation
- A great sense of humor!
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, working 37.5 hours per week, with a salary range of $50,000 – $65,000. Salary offer will be dependent on experience. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
We provide 23 days of Paid Time Off, 11 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule. We provide medical (zero-deductible HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance, with RVC covering over 90% of the costs of the insurance package.
Our Hiring Process & Timeline:
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews in January.
- We will begin in-person one-hour interviews in February. If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a process you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start in March.
A criminal background will not automatically eliminate you from consideration. A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.