Position: Organizing Fellow
Reports to: Organizing Director
Position Type: Full time, Salaried, Exempt
Salary Range: $42,000
Benefits: Life Insurance, AD&D, Short and Long Term Insurance, Medical, Dental and Simple IRA Retirement.
Got Green is a Green Pathways Partner. Green Pathways is a program that creates a pathway to the green sector for low-income young adults in living wage entry-level positions in the environmental justice movement.
Got Green is a people of color led organization based in South Seattle working to ensure the benefits of the green economy (jobs, access to healthy food, energy efficient and healthy homes, and public transit) reach low-income communities and communities of color. We do this by cultivating leaders to educate, advocate, organize, and build coalitions.
Got Green’s constituents are low-income people and people of color in Seattle and King County (we recognize that many of our community have been pushed out of the city due to gentrification, so we extend our reach to surrounding South King County neighborhoods.). We have a base of 52 currently active volunteer leaders, 80% of whom are people of color.
We believe that lifting up the opinions and the voices of disproportionately impacted groups will lead to real solutions for our community. We have formed grassroots committees of low-income women, unemployed workers, and young people to shape and lead Got Green’s work. Our board of directors consists of Got Green members – a majority of people of color – who lead “hands – on” organizing and ensure our sustainability. People of color and low income people are leading at all levels in Got Green
Summary of Position
We are seeking an individual to work in low-income communities of color to help ensure the growth of leadership in Got Green through supporting community-led campaigns, recruiting new members and implementing strategic plans which unites Got Green’s climate justice work.
The Organizing Fellow will provide organizing capacity to Got Green’s campaigns (Young Leaders, Food Access, and Climate Justice), which include outreach, phone banking, meeting facilitation, media, and publicly representing Got Green in order to implement our campaign goals. They will receive training and mentorship, at the same time be responsible in cultivating new leaders to strengthen a “ground-up” people of color- led environmental justice movement. A quarter of their work will be related to planning, admin, and reporting. The position is full-time and primarily in the South Seattle area
Community Organizing (75%)
- Recruit new members by on-the-street outreach, tabling, and phone-banking
- Conduct 1:1 meetings, provide trainings, and mentorship to cultivate leaders within Got Green from communities of color
- Be a spokesperson for Got Green at public events, representing our missions, values, and campaigns.
- Participate in activities which advance Got Green’s strategic plan and campaigns
- Create media collateral to advance Got Green’s mission and campaigns
- Participate in staff meetings to report on progress of campaigns and strategize with other staff on campaigns
- Participate in retreats for strategic planning and assessments with Got Green leadership
- Provide logistical support for committee meetings, actions, and special events
- Provide statistics tracking or written documentation of campaign work for reporting purposes
- Provide response to interested volunteers through email or phone
- Support the organization by keeping the most up to date information; data entry
What We are Looking for
- Ability to communicate organization’s mission and vision,
- Strong commitment to and demonstrated track record of working on racial/social/ environmental justice issues
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/writing/listening communication skills
- Ability to present to a wide range of audiences; bilingual ability a plus
- Strong working knowledge of desktop office products
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Education & Experience: The organization seeks candidates with knowledge familiarity with local politics and South Seattle Community is preferred. However, any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required qualifications and skills set will be considered.
Working Conditions and Physical Environment
Work is performed in an office environment and out in the community. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to read, speak, stand, walk, sit and use a computer keyboard and monitor. Some heavy lifting and physical labor is required during special events. This position requires occasional travel to meetings and conferences. Some evening meetings and/or weekend events will be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
A criminal background will not automatically eliminate you from consideration. However, because this position involves access to confidential/sensitive information and physical assets, Got Green will not hire into this position anyone who has been convicted of a criminal offense related to theft or fraud. A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Got Green is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact Florence Sum at [email protected].