Start Date: September 2019
Location: Downtown Seattle, WA; access to numerous public transportation stops and stations
Salary: $46,000 per year
Benefits: Includes a generous benefits package with fully covered medical, dental, life and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement plan and company matching program, monthly ORCA card, 10 days of sick leave, 4 personal days, 10 vacation days, 11 holidays and a winter break; additional benefits include the ability to work remotely as needed, professional development opportunities and an annual, all-inclusive retreat for staff of color.
Other perks: Our coworking office space includes a gender-neutral restroom, ping pong table, an espresso machine, cold brew and kombucha on tap, and weekly happy hours
Resource Media is a Green Pathways Partner. Green Pathways is a program that creates a pathway to the green sector for low-income young adults in living wage entry-level positions in the environmental justice movement.
Resource Media is working to create a more just and sustainable world, and we’re looking for a budding communications professional to help support cause-based campaigns with partners all over the U.S.
Resource Media is a mission-driven nonprofit PR firm that works in support of social and environmental change. It provide communications services to a variety of progressive groups and causes, but also operate independently or in coalition when it sees unmet communications needs in the field. Resource Media works on issues that have an impact on the health of people and planet, including climate change and clean energy, social and environmental justice, food and farms. There are 29 employees in 10 different offices, with its largest office located in Seattle.
Summary of Position
This position provides program support to teams who consult with clients, implement communications strategies, and interfaces with internal teams (HR, equity, development, board, etc.). It also includes administrative responsibilities for improving internal policies and cross-team, cross-office communication. This position will consist of 70% program coordination, 30% administrative support. The fellow will directly report to the Program Coordinator, and will also receive ongoing support from a Managing Director.
The ideal candidate enjoys collaboration and is a self-starter, and possesses direct experience working with digital and social media tools. We are looking for someone with a strong interest in political, social and environmental issues, and how they are influenced by digital and earned media. We do not require prior expertise or experience working in any given issue area; rather, we are seeking a candidate who is passionate about helping community-based organizations build power and improve lives. This position offers a clear path to advance their communications career at Resource Media and a dedicated budget for professional development opportunities.
Mentorship and Training
Over the course of the two-year fellowship, we will provide training for you to gain marketable skills in (but not limited to):
- Social media account management (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
- Issue expertise on climate and environmental justice, public health, sustainability
- Media lists
- Media research
- Content management (WordPress or other CMS)
- Evaluation tools
- Basic Salesforce management on Resource Media’s custom system
- Zoom video conferencing
- Slack administration
- Effective client communication skills
- Ethical storytelling that centers those most impacted by the issues
We are committed to jumpstarting your career in communications and can explore including other PR or digital skills based on your interest and our available in-house expertise.
As a fellow at Resource Media, you will be an organized and creative problem solver. Your job is to support teams in executing communications strategies that command attention, change hearts and minds, inspire action, build brands and mobilize coalitions. We are looking for someone with a strong interest in social change and great communications instincts.
The fellow will have the following responsibilities:
Program Coordination (70%)
- Assist team members with creating, formatting and proofreading materials and deliverables for trainings, presentations, webinars and meetings, including handouts, slide decks, graphics, creative briefs, reports, etc.
- Help manage the Resource Media Twitter account (@rmedia) and future social media accounts; maintain internal reports for tracking engagement.
- Help conceive of content for digital media, including social videos, branded visuals, slideshows, story maps, web, newsletter and social media copy and online calls to action (petitions, direct email, social shares, etc.).
- Manage social media accounts for clients on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and conduct research for program issue areas and target communities.
- Support tracking and evaluation of media engagement values and social media activity, pulling out the most relevant information in reports for clients.
- Aggregate, create and maintain media lists from our online reporter database, release distribution service and staff contacts.
- Aggregate, create and maintain free or low-cost media tools lists for colleagues and clients (storytelling platforms, social media graphics templates, accessibility checkers, file resizers, etc.).
- Update and maintain vendor lists for website builds, interactive reports, visual design, SEO, etc.
Administrative Support (30%)
- Act as a point person for client file sharing network management, downloading files from project emails and organizing in appropriate folders.
- Support staff in basic functions of Salesforce, including updating accounts, setting up reports and database maintenance.
- Assist with coordinating events for the Seattle office, as needed.
Additionally, the fellow will have the opportunity to engage in standing committees to shape the internal organization in several key areas (equity, governance & policy, operations, marketing & development), and/or in cross-cutting initiatives in our strategic framework (digital/creative, narrative, multicultural).
- A demonstrated interest in communications or public relations.
- Familiarity with multiple social media platforms, from Twitter to Facebook to Instagram.
- Basic understanding of the role of communications in building support for social change.
- A commitment to social justice and racial equity with experience executing those values through your work, whether professionally or informally in your community.
- Curiosity and creativity, and a willingness to try things out, listen, learn and continually grow and improve.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofing skills (a writing test will be required in the interview).
- Working knowledge of most of these tools: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Google Drive, Dropbox.
- Willingness and ability for domestic travel, about twice yearly.
- Experience in a complementary field, such community organizing and outreach, event management or online writing.
- Visual storytelling interest or background.
- Graphic design or multimedia editing interest or background.
- Experience with multicultural communications/media and second-language proficiency.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Resource Media values an equitable and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer with a deep and proven commitment to engaging and retaining the skills and leadership of BIPOC people (Black, indigenous, and people of color), LGBTQ persons, and other people from historically marginalized backgrounds.
To request assistance or accommodation, please contact Florence Sum at [email protected].