GOAL OF MENTORSHIP PROGRAM
The Mentor encourages and supports RVC fellows during their two-year placement at a community-based organization. The Mentor will model leadership traits qualities, explore and discuss community and cultural dynamics, offers support to help Fellow fulfill RVC’s vision, principles, and goals, and guide fellows to reach their personal or professional goals. Each Mentor will be matched with a Fellow at the beginning of the cohort year (Sept/Oct) and will be expected to meet monthly with their Fellow to complement RVC’s formal meetings. RVC’s Fellows will receive grounding and connectedness with established leaders of color in our community.
Applications are CLOSED but we will be accepting applications on a rolling basis for next year.
If you are interested, please fill out the application here.
Send completed applications to email@example.com.
- Meet with Fellows monthly to provide support, mentorship, and encouragement:
- Activities may include meeting for coffee/tea or lunch, attending community event(s), giving advice/feedback on issues at Fellow’s CBO placement, exploring reading assignments with the Fellow, and present a talk to small groups of cohort members
- Attend RVC Mentor Orientation
- Complete initial volunteer application/questionnaire
- Mentor and Fellow will be connected based on interests and similarities
- Passion for and interest in the work and vision of RVC
- Experience working with people of color and immigrant/refugee communities; people of color strongly encouraged to apply
- Leadership experience in non-profits, community-based organization and/or public service sector
- Engaged and active listening skills, flexible, and a collaborative, supportive attitude
- Knowledge of the following is preferred: non-profit management, collective leadership, community organization, public policy, dynamics of power/privilege/oppression
- Completion of orientation, and criminal background check prior to start date
TRAINING AND SUPPORT PROVIDED
Mentors will receive an orientation to RVC. Mentors will meet individually with the Program Coordinator prior to being assigned to a Fellow to determine the best match. The Mentor will be invited to and have the option to attend RVC events, including quarterly gatherings and affinity peer learning groups attended by the Fellows. The Program Coordinator will be in direct contact with Mentors to discuss any issues and/or feedback about the mentorship experience.
1-3 hours per month. Mentor schedules monthly meeting with Fellow, each lasting 1-2 hours.
Minimum one-year commitment but encouraging two-year commitment for a consistent mentor-mentee relationship.
The mentor will have the opportunity to advance equity and create a meaningful change in communities of color. Foster sustainable leadership in ethnic-led organizations. Gain experience in capacity building and community dynamics and be part of an energetic and vibrant community of emerging leaders!
Applications Due: Sat, Sept 30th by 11:59 PM
Selection/One-on-One Meetings Week of Oct 2nd & Oct 9th
Speed Mentoring/Mixer Thurs, Oct 19th; 6:00 PM @ RVC Office
Mentor & Fellow Pairings Mon, Oct 23rd
For more information, please contact Florence Sum at firstname.lastname@example.org.