Position: Grant Strategist
Reports to: Development Director
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Position type: full-time, exempt, 37.5 hours per week
Benefits: 23 days paid time off, 11 paid holidays, flexible, family-friendly schedule, medical (zero-deductible HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance, with RVC covering over 90% of the costs of the insurance package
Start date: March 2020 (flexible)
RVC strengthens the power of communities of color in order to create a more equitable society through capacity-building, leadership development, and operations support. We accomplish this through our core programs and services as well as through leading partnerships with community members and organizations of color. These members and organizations provide support services tailored to the strengths and needs of the communities they serve. For this reason, people of color are encouraged to apply to our job postings.
Summary of Position:
The Grant Strategist will manage all aspects of grant seeking at every stage of the solicitation process, including prospecting, researching, identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding funders to secure philanthropic dollars. The position will be responsible not only for RVC’s grant strategies and success, but will also work to support partner organizations through coaching, coordinating grant proposals, developing proposals and agreements, and advocating for partner organizations around grant practices.
Prospecting & acquisition of new funders (30%)
- Work with the Director of Development and other senior staff to develop a multi-year plan that identifies a diverse base of support for RVC’s mission.
- Research, write, and submit funding proposals in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to private, corporate, and government sources, both local and national.
Supporting RVC’s partner organizations (30%)
- Research and communicate grants that may be good fits for partner organizations
- Assist partner organizations to create grant strategies and plans
- Coach and advise partner organizations on grantwriting, including reviewing grant strategies and proposals and occasionally helping to write grant proposals
- Advocate for partner organizations when there may be challenges with potential or existing funders regarding grant practices
Stewarding existing relationships and managing reporting (30%)
- Working with the Director of Development to co-manage relationships with foundation donors and prospects, with a focus on deepening relationships with existing funding partners and increasing the number of funding relationships that provide general operating support
- Work with Development, Program, Finance and Leadership staff to develop performance metrics and budgets for grant proposals.
- Create & Maintain annual grants calendar with deadlines for proposal submission and reports.
- Track grants and prepare grant final reports and internal progress reports
- Coordinate funder visits to RVC and partner orgs when appropriate.
Strategy & General Operations (10%)
- Support the fund development team with other projects and activities as needed
- Collaborate with staff in implementing RVC’s core values of Equity, Integrity, Community, Action, and Transformation
- Collaborate with staff and board in making key strategic decisions affecting RVC’s future
- Participate in staff meetings, attend community events, and otherwise contribute to strengthening the deep roots within our community, both internally and externally
What we’re looking for:
- A minimum of three years experience in grant writing, a combination of development functions which includes writing grant proposals, or experience writing in fields where the skills are transferable to grant writing.
- Experience successfully soliciting local, regional, and national foundations and a proven track record of securing new foundation grants is preferred but not required.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, work effectively both within a team and in self-directed situations.
- Strong ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must maintain positive personal relationships in a broad range of situations.
- Able to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines and funding goals, and simultaneously manage multiple priorities while maintaining a calm, professional work style.
- Competency with computers, the Microsoft Office Suite, and social media.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Strong customer service and problem-solving ability.
This is a full-time, exempt position, working 37.5 hours per week, with a salary range of $50,000 – $65,000. Salary offer will be dependent on experience. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
We provide 23 days of Paid Time Off, 11 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule. We provide medical (zero-deductible HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance, with RVC covering over 90% of the costs of the insurance package.
Our Hiring Process & Timeline:
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews in January.
- We will begin in-person one-hour interviews in February. If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a process you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start in March.
A criminal background will not automatically eliminate you from consideration. A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact email@example.com.