Position: Operations Associate
Reports to: Executive Director of Operations
Location: 3407 NE 2nd St. Renton, Washington 98056. A hybrid position can be negotiated.
Position type: full time (37.5 hrs/week), non-exempt
Salary: $26/hr (salary would be $50,700)
Benefits: 23 days paid time off, 11 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule. There is an additional week-long closure from December 25th through January 1st. Medical (zero-deductible HMO and PPO options), retirement, dental, short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance, with RVC covering over 90% of the costs of the insurance package. Transit Orca card available as well.
Start date: 4/17/23
STEM Paths Innovation Network (SPIN) has a mission to close the opportunity gap for women and BIPOC communities in STEM careers and education. We do this through offering enrichment, mentoring and curriculum development and providing safe, culturally responsive environments for students to learn and adults to support them.
RVC strengthens the power of black, indigenous, and people of color in order to create a more equitable society through capacity-building, leadership development, and operations support. We accomplish this through our core programs and services as well as through leading partnerships with community members and organizations of color. These members and organizations provide support services tailored to the strengths and needs of the communities they serve. For this reason, people of color are encouraged to apply to our job postings.
Summary of Position
Do you love creating systems and processes that increase efficiency? Are you amazingly talented at keeping track of all kinds of tiny details? Do you want to be challenged all the time at work, pushed to the limit, learn a ton of stuff, be on the cutting edge of equity and community work, have a lot of fun, be frustrated on occasion and inspired frequently, and make a significant impact? SPIN and RVC are looking for an RVC Fellow and Operations Associate who wants an opportunity to learn and grow. The Operations Associate will play a vital role on the team, working closely with the co-Executive Directors, supporting various aspects of SPIN’s internal operations. SPIN and RVC will invest deeply in the professional development of this position so that they can grow and develop as the organization grows, gaining increasing levels of responsibility and opportunity over time.
As an RVC Fellow, the Operations Associate will support Human Resources, Financial Management, Office Management, and other General Operations activities. They will have the opportunity to help to develop and streamline effective processes for a rapidly growing grassroots organization that is working to develop systems that are also supportive of their staff and organizational values of Grace, Accountability, Authenticity and Wellness.
Human Resources (20%)
- Payroll Team: Support payroll administration for all SPIN staff. Create and manage personnel files for SPIN employees, create Quickbooks accounts, review and submit timesheets, and review employee reimbursements.
- General Operations Team: Act as point person for questions, concerning, and training regarding HR, finances and internal operations. Meet weekly with the Executive Director of Operations to review ongoing projects and provide feedback.
- Wellness Team: Support office morale activities, including planning events and buying gifts. Maintain an office culture that is culturally responsive and promotes the wellbeing of our staff and community
Finance Management (20%)
- Financial Resources Team: Manage incoming funds received via check for SPIN by depositing checks and submitting documentation.
- Internal Financial Resources Lead: Oversee employee credit card reconciliation, ensuring all employees are able to make purchases easily and that all necessary documentation is collected and submitted in a timely fashion.
- Invoice Processing Lead: Manage all SPIN internal Accounts Payable needing payment via check, by processing invoices and submitting requests, ensuring all necessary documentation is collected and submitted.
Office Management (35%)
- Office Management Lead: Ensure the office is welcoming for both staff and guests, with all necessary amenities kept clean and in working order. Managing office resources such as office phones, internet, and communication services. Ensure the organization has strong disaster management policies and provide organizational support in navigating disasters effectively. Assist with set up of programs, meetings, etc. that occur in RTC Annex office space
- Supplies Budget Lead: Manage the office supply and food budgets, overseeing all related purchasing
- Inventory Lead: Manage and track SPIN inventory; ensure supplies are accounted for prior to program usage and support deployment
- Event Logistics Lead: Provide event set-up and food ordering support. Oversee logistics for internal SPIN retreats/events.
- IT Support Lead: Provide basic IT support for staff, including printer/scanner upkeep and general troubleshooting. Purchase and set up laptops and other tech needs for employees. Assist with the creation and communication of internal IT policies. Act as point of contact for IT consultants handling more complex IT support needs. Manage online platforms such as Idealist, Calendly, LastPass etc. for office-wide use
- Organizational Communication Lead: Take meeting notes, organize documents, and track data. Ensure external communications to SPIN are quickly and smoothly routed to the right point person, by monitoring the general SPIN email inbox and phone line, and forwarding messages to the correct recipient
General Operations Team (25%)
- Collaborate with staff in making key strategic decisions affecting SPIN’s future
- Engage in deep professional development, including 3 hours/week with RVC
- Community Fellowship
- Participate in staff meetings/retreats, attend community events, and otherwise contribute to strengthening the deep roots within our community, both internally and externally
- Submit and track program expenses based on SPIN protocols
- 2+ years of experience with financial/operational support
- Strong understanding of nonprofit accounting and compliance
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), critical thinking, customer service and organizational skills.
- The ability to work on multiple projects and tasks concurrently and work effectively under pressure.
- The ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- The ability to be flexible about changing priorities and manage competing deadlines.
- The ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- A positive and professional attitude and demeanor.
- Highest level of discretion in protecting confidential information and preserving database security
- Willingness to take initiative and generate creative solutions to challenges
- Ability to execute routine administrative procedures with a focus on smooth and efficient operation
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office suite
What We’re Looking For:
- Commitment to providing all kids with equitable education opportunities.
- Experience with communities of color and grassroots organizations
- Experience with diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, and other unique communities and a familiarity with how to speak about the gifts and needs of these communities.
- Passion for working in the nonprofit sector
- Talent for creating and managing systems
- An eye for creating efficiencies and keeping track of details
- Ability to develop trusting relationships with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Love of continuous learning
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to work some evenings and weekends
- Commitment to our mission and our values of Grace, Accountability, Authenticity, and Wellness
- A great sense of humor!
Our Hiring Process & Timeline
- We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews the week of Feb 20th
- We will begin virtual one-hour interviews in March. If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. aprocess you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials. You do not need to create anything new for these samples, please feel free to be creative in how you define work samples.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start on Mon, Apr 17th.
Because this position is central to Operations, the primary work location will be at SPIN’s office at 3407 NE 2nd Ave in Renton, WA. However, SPIN does accommodate a flexible schedule and some hybrid work can be arranged.
SPIN follows the COVID protocols of Seattle Public Schools.
The American with Disability Act of 1990 (ADA) makes it unlawful to discriminate against a qualified individual with a disability in all parts of the employment process. You may request reasonable accommodations at any time. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Some physical activity will be required to manage inventory. Our office is also modular and the Operations Associate will need to re-orient the layout from time to time. Our office does not have any stairs and there are ADA push buttons at the main entrance. We also have a gender neutral bathroom. We are open to considering any other accommodations needed or requested by our staff.
A criminal history background check may be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment. Those who supervise other staff, those who work with minors and/or other vulnerable populations either inside or outside of the organization, and those who have access to the organization’s funds will be asked to complete a background check. A criminal background will not automatically eliminate you from consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact: [email protected]