Date Posted: August 13, 2021
Team: General Operations (joining Fabiola Arvizu (Operations Manager), Bianca Barnes (Operations Associate, and Ananda Valenzuela (Interim Executive Director)
Reports to: TBD
Location: Greater Seattle Area (staff work in person and virtually)
Position type: full-time, exempt
Salary: $64,400 to $76,400 a year
Benefits: 23 days paid time off, 11 paid floating holidays, remote scheduling, medical (60-90% employer-covered premiums with HMO and PPO options), dental, short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance, retirement plan with matching, health FSA, daycare FSA with up to $5000 provided for daycare needs, regional monthly bus pass, and employee assistance program.
Start date: November 2021
RVC strengthens the power of Black, indigenous, and people of color in order to create a more equitable society through capacity-building, leadership development, and operations support. We accomplish this through our core programs and services as well as through leading partnerships with community members and organizations of color. These members and organizations provide support services tailored to the strengths and needs of the communities they serve. For this reason, people of color are encouraged to apply to our job postings.
Summary of position
RVC is searching for someone to lead and develop a General Operations team that is committed to re-centering internal operations around the people who make up our community. The ideal person for this role should have knowledge and experience in equitable, anti-oppressive, and anti-racist human resources practices. Can you practice empathy and care around workplace trauma? Do you know how to guide people through conflict resolution and performance coaching in an organization with a strong feedback culture? This work leans heavily on strong emotional intelligence, relationship-building skills, an anti-racist framework, and an ability to create systems and policies.
You would join a self-managing organization with deeply relational people who are committed to advancing our values-aligned work. You will be responsible for people and culture work, staff coaching and training, staff wellness, and overall General Operations strategy and coordination. Our team manages operational needs for our internal RVC staff and works with our other programs to serve an additional 100 employees within our operational support program (we are a major fiscal sponsor!).
In creating this position we were partly inspired by the Anti-Racist HR Guidebook and by our ongoing commitment to work through the harm of the nonprofit industrial complex, center transparency, and reimagine what it means to do non-profit and capacity building work as Black, indigenous, and leaders of color. Gratitude to the authors and creators of anti-racist and liberatory HR and operations practices!
General Operations Program Strategy & Coordination (20%)
- Facilitate annual program planning process to ensure all team members are involved in setting program vision/strategy , and hold the team accountable to larger program vision/strategy
- Envision where team can grow, supporting professional development efforts, and identify & plan for the needed resources and capacity, including hiring of staff and consultants
- Manage ongoing program team agenda and track overall forward movement of team’s organizational development work, coordinating facilitation of team meetings and retreats
- Tend to the overall morale of the team and ensure strong relationships are built and maintained between each team member, proactively supporting detriangulating and conflict resolution as needed
- Ensure role clarity across all team members, tracking all team members’ Lead/Team roles
- Ensure that the team has effective communication channels with other teams at RVC, and represent the team at cross programmatic meetings
- Manage team work plan and ensure all team members are being held accountable to their individual work plans and goals
Staff Wellness and Culture (15%)
- Coordinate RVC efforts to support staff wellness through policies, office procedures, staff wellness activities, training, etc.
- Support the general operations associate on developing and maintaining ongoing social activities, staff appreciation, and office culture work
RVC Operational Policies (20%)
- Lead the documentation and management of all RVC operations policies, including HR, Finance, Legal, Insurance, and IT. Responsible for the creation and implementation of anti-racist and accessible employee policies
- Holder of the Employee Handbook and General Operations handbook; the decision-maker for changing/updating policies and oversee an annual evaluation process
- Develop employee policies that are innovative and aligned with RVC’s mission and values
- Training Lead – ensuring there is accessible knowledge-sharing and training on all policies and procedures, mapping out annual calendar of internal training for new and present staff; facilitate and/or organize staff training
- Coach and support team members who are lead on policies and procedures for different realms of operations
- Answer staff questions on operational policies and implementation
Performance Evaluation (15%)
- Update performance evaluation process used at RVC to reflect self-management and growth values
- Manage performance evaluation calendar to support staff in completing evaluations throughout the year and providing coaching to supervisors
- Provide tools and resources to operations support partners and offer advice and coaching on the creation of their performance evaluation processes
Coaching and Supervision (20%)
- Coach all employees to strategize personal and professional development goals, support supervisors in how they coach and support staff development, create frameworks and processes that uplift our self managing and shared leadership structure
- Support the conflict resolution team and lead in carrying the conflict resolution culture and process across the organization
Organizational Operations (10%)
These are organization-wide responsibilities. All staff hold the following responsibilities:
- Submit and track program expenses based on RVC protocol.
- Collaborate with staff in making key strategic decisions affecting RVC’s future
- Engage in deep professional development
- Participate in staff meetings, attend community events, and otherwise contribute to strengthening the deep roots within our community, both internally and externally
- Commitment to our mission and our values of Equity, Integrity, Community, Action, and Transformation
What we are looking for
- A minimum of 3-5 years of direct paid or non paid labor in any or a combination of: general operations, employee training and development, human resources, non-profit capacity building, and/or closely related work
- Experience in disability justice, Black and queer liberation work, anti-racist organizing, undoing internalized oppression, and holistic community wellness
- Proven ability to support values-aligned organizational development
- Love for giving and receiving feedback and building trusting relationships with employees and community partners
- An understanding of anti-racist and liberatory power practices in relation to coaching, employee policies, and organizational development
- Interest in working within a self-managing structure and unlearning traditional decision-making expectations
- Ability to communicate well your learning style and approach to collaborative work
- Experience with communities of color and grassroots organizations
- Passion for working in the nonprofit sector
- Love of continuous learning
- Talent for creating and managing systems
- Commitment to our mission and our values of Equity, Integrity, Community, Action, and Transformation
- A great sense of humor!
This is a full time, exempt position. We work 37.5 hours a week and observe standard work hours between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked. On rare occasions, we work weekends or evenings–usually for fundraising or attending partner organization’s events.
Due to the COVID pandemic, we were working fully remote and are transitioning to an in-person and virtual organization. We trust each other to create a weekly schedule that works for us, our partners, and our responsibilities. On occasion, we host in-person socially distant gatherings and work retreats. We wear masks in the office and we are all fully vaccinated. We strive to have all future hires vaccinated as well. See our most updated safety office plan.
Salary offer will be dependent on experience, and calculated transparently with the final candidate using an equitable salary calculator used by RVC. We believe in work-life balance, and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment. A criminal background will not automatically eliminate you from consideration.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact us at [email protected].
RVC offers accommodations, upon request, for folks with disabilities during the application, interview, and hiring process (such as forms in alternate formats or interpretation services during the interview). RVC recognizes that employees with physical or mental conditions that significantly limit their major life activities may need reasonable accommodations to enable them to perform their essential job functions, and provides those accommodations to all its employees when needed.
If you require accommodations during the application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
Our Hiring Process & Timeline
We will review all applications submitted by our priority deadline of Friday, September 24th, 2021. Afterwards, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis if needed. Interviews will occur in October with a target hiring date in November. We are flexible for the right candidate!