Position: Development Associate
Reports to: Development Director
Location: Greater Seattle Area
Position type: full-time exempt
Benefits: 23 days paid time off, 11 paid holidays, flexible, family-friendly schedule, medical (zero-deductible HMO and PPO options), dental, short- and long-term disability, life, and AD&D insurance, with RVC covering over 90% of the costs of the insurance package. Transit Orca card available as well.
Start date: late January 2020
RVC strengthens the power of communities of color in order to create a more equitable society through capacity-building, leadership development, and operations support. We accomplish this through our core programs and services as well as through leading partnerships with community members and organizations of color. These members and organizations provide support services tailored to the strengths and needs of the communities they serve. For this reason, people of color are encouraged to apply to our job postings.
Summary of position
This position will be responsible for coordinating fundraising activities, tracking and recording donations, and providing support to the Development and Communications Team. You will be successful in this position if you are excited to cultivate relationships, love to coordinate fundraising campaigns, and have the savvy to build reports that demonstrate the effectiveness and progress of our development and communications work.
- Expand desired donor communities through relationships with potential donors, foundation contacts and sponsor prospects
- Conduct research and special projects that contribute to the growth and improvement of the organization’s fund development efforts
- Steward relationships with existing donors, process donations, donor recognition, and thank you letters in collaboration with the accounting department as necessary
- Organize fundraising events that center RVC’s values, strategic goals, and the communities that the organization serves
- Maintain and track donations in our donor database (Bloomerang)
- Send out and make thank-you calls to those who support the organization via gifts
- Preparing general correspondence and other necessary solicitation materials
- Help RVC increase funding capacity, communicate with donors, and maintain a calendar of events by:
- Working with other team members to identify and report potential sources of funding
- Study organizational development trends to aid in the forecast of future results
- Actively engage lapsed donors and maintain organization retention rate
Events and Outreach Coordination (30%)
- Serve as virtual support for RVC events (Zoom, Google Meet, etc…)
- Participating in the recruitment and support of event volunteers
- Work with teams within RVC to lead quarterly events
- Develop and maintain event calendar
General Operations (10%)
- Collaborate with staff in making key strategic decisions affecting the future of RVC
- Engage in deep professional development
- Represent and attend community events and activities to ensure engagement of RVC with the communities we serve
- Participate in staff meetings, attend community events, and otherwise contribute to strengthening the deep roots within our community, both internally and externally.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Persuasive and passionate written and verbal communications skills
- An eye for creating efficiencies and keeping track of details
- Comfort with computers and a variety of online platforms
- Attention to detail, including precise copy-editing
- A track record of tailoring messages to a wide range of audiences across sectors, cultures, and geographic regions and ensuring consistency of messaging across platforms
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to keep multiple projects moving forward simultaneously
- A track record of using social media platforms to advance program goals, including Facebook and Instagram
- A track record of producing effective organizational communications including website content, e-newsletters, brochures, flyers, etc.
Preferred skills (but not required)
- Graphic design skills
- Experience with training others in strategic communications and spokesperson skills
What we are looking for:
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Experience with communities of color and grassroots organizations
- Passion for working in the nonprofit sector
- Love of continuous learning
- Talent for creating and managing systems
- Able to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to develop trusting relationships with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds
- Commitment to our mission and our values of Equity, Integrity, Community, Action, and Transformation
- A great sense of humor!
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice issues
- Ability to work with a team on a variety of tasks
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $45,000-55,000 a year with the exact calculation to be determined by our Areas of Responsibility calculator. We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked.
Our Hiring Process & Timeline:
- We will begin scheduling phone interviews in December.
- We will begin virtual one-hour interviews in December. If you are invited for a first interview, we will ask for two work samples relevant to this position, e.g. a process you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials.
- Finalists will be invited to a second-round virtual one-hour interview, and we will make an offer shortly thereafter.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a priority date of December 18th, 2020.
- We would like to have the selected candidate start in February 2021.
A criminal background will not automatically eliminate you from consideration. A criminal history background check will be conducted on the final candidate prior to beginning employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
RVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other class protected by law. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact [email protected]